Why do I sometimes wake up from a dead sleep and not be able to see? The lights are on and I don't get up too fast. Vision comes back after 5 minutes.

Dr. Ari Weitzner
Ophthalmology
In brief: Its ok
In a young healthy person, this is nothing to worry about, unless you have some rare vitamin a deficiency, or other rare dystrophy.

In brief: Its ok
Dr. Ari Weitzner
Dr. Ari Weitzner
Dr. Timothy Ashley
Internal Medicine & Pediatrics
In brief: Needs evaluation
This may be a simple problem, a so-called hypnogogic (technically hypnopompic in this case) sleep problem. Many people experience unusual neurologic phenomena transitioning from sleep to wake or wake to sleep.
However, with the limitations of this forum, it is impossible to determine whether a more dangerous neurologic problem is present. See your doctor for specific diagnosis.

In brief: Needs evaluation
Dr. Timothy Ashley
Dr. Timothy Ashley
Dr. Steven Seres