Will scientists find a cure for schizophrenia?

Dr. Peter Kurzweil

In brief: Not likely soon, but

Schizophrenia is a tragic lifelong illness that most commonly starts age 16-24, and is the main form of psychosis (disordered thinking).
It may be triggered by an environmental event, but it is largely based on one's genetic makeup. Anti-psychotics can rx sx. There is no prevention nor cure. A breakthrough would involve genetic mapping, genetic manipulation, and prevention would be the only cure.

In brief: Not likely soon, but

Dr. Peter Kurzweil
Dr. Peter Kurzweil
Dr. Steven Reidbord

In brief: I hope so

Scientists are researching treatments and cures for schizophrenia all the time.
Since there are genetic factors, a future cure might involve gene therapy. I'm not aware of any cures on the immediate horizon though, so the best we currently have is treatment to decrease symptoms, counseling for emotional support, and various social services to make life with schizophrenia a little easier.

In brief: I hope so

Dr. Steven Reidbord
Dr. Steven Reidbord
Dr. Andrew Berry
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Schizophrenia

Unfortunately as of now, there is no cure for schizophrenia, only medication management and psychotherapy throughout the lifespan.
An excess of a neurotransmitter called dopamine is thought to cause the symptoms of schizophrenia. Any why this neurotransmitter imbalance exists is a currently profound, unsolved genetic mystery, I am sorry to say.

In brief: Schizophrenia

Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Eric Anderson

In brief: Schizophrenia cure

I sure hope so, and i think someday they will! they are working very hard to understand the biological basis of this disease.
Many genes have been identified as possible culprits, but how they get activated, how they interact with one another, and how we can use that knowledge to undo the damage still remains to be seen.

In brief: Schizophrenia cure

Dr. Eric Anderson
Dr. Eric Anderson