Can low sodium intake (<1500mg/day) lead to fluid retention?

No, not low sodium. High (not low) sodium intake will lead to fluid retention. If you are retaining fluid and following a low salt diet, there may be other causes that need to be investigated, such as kidney, heart, liver, thyroid health. Malnutrition can also lead to fluid retention as can blood clots or leaky veins. Check with your doctor who can examine you and order the appropriate tests.
Just the opposite. Sodium leads to fluid retention in some individuals with compromised kidney or heart function especially.
I do not believe so. The 2010 dietary guidelines for americans recommend limiting sodium to less than 2, 300 mg a day — or 1, 500 mg if you're age 51 or older, or if you are black, or if you have high blood pressure, diabetes or chronic kidney disease. According to myo clinic web site.