What are the differences if any between Lipitor (atorvastatin) and crestor when it comes to treatment of high cholesterol?

Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Radiation Oncology

In brief: While there may be

Subtle differences, they are each "statins", the gola is optimizing triglyceride and LDL cholesterol.
I was on Atorvastatin for 12 years, and switched to Simvastatin when my co-pay went to $125, and i can get generic zocor (simvastatin) for $6.99. The newer the more expensive. Resuvostatin is newer. Show me the difference is worth the price.

In brief: While there may be

Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Dr. William Dailey

In brief: Numerous differences

The full answer is a bit beyond the scope but in short Crestor is somewhat more potent.
Lipitor (atorvastatin) has better evidence. Lipitor (atorvastatin) is now generic and soon should be less expensive. Crestor is somewhat less likely to cause muscle aches. Those are the main ones i discuss with my patients.

In brief: Numerous differences

Dr. William Dailey
Dr. William Dailey
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
I switched to lower price with no clinical negative effect.
Dr. Luis Villaplana

In brief: Not much

Lipitor (atorvastatin) has a massive amount of clinical data and studies, but Crestor is not far behind.
Both are probably the most potent cholesterol reducing drugs currently on the market. Lipitor (atorvastatin) is now generic, Crestor is not do cost will be a difference maker for most patients. Crestor is also different in that it does not readily crop blood brain barrier and for some, it may decrease side effects vs lipito.

In brief: Not much

Dr. Luis Villaplana
Dr. Luis Villaplana
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
I switched to simvastatin. These other two are not worth the cost. May need t check liver enzymes.
Dr. Umesh Patel
Board Certified, Preventive Medicine