18 yr old girl. Could I have a non sports related meniscus tear?Knee locks and have to pop it. No swelling. Pain for over 2 yrs.

Dr. Bradley Butkovich
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Meniscus tear

Absolutely. You do not need to play sports to get a meniscus tear. You can get it from squatting down awkwardly, twisting it on a stair etc.
If your knee is locking and painful the most likely diagnosis is a meniscus year particularly if the pain is on the inside or outside of you knee at the knee joint not the knee cap. I would get your knee evaluated by an orthopaedist.

In brief: Meniscus tear

Dr. Bradley Butkovich
Dr. Bradley Butkovich
Dr. Keith Baldwin
Orthopedic Surgery - Pediatric

In brief: Could be

There is a condition known as discoid meniscus in which the meniscus is misshapen an MRI could help diagnose.
Most knee pain responds to exercise therapy. Some programs available on line sites like simplettherapy.Com. Discoid meniscus occasionally need surgery.

In brief: Could be

Dr. Keith Baldwin
Dr. Keith Baldwin
Dr. Shontae Buffington