My friend took 9 Aleve (naproxen) yesterday and 12 today all within a 12 hr period. What will happen to her?

Dr. Ronald Krauser
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: A major overdose

Your friend has taken a major overdose and runs the risk of significant GI and kidney problems.

In brief: A major overdose

Dr. Ronald Krauser
Dr. Ronald Krauser
Dr. Thomas Namey
Thanks for repeating my answer!
Dr. Thomas Namey
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Over maximum dose!

Your friend is acting inappropriately! the maximum dose of Naproxen is 500mg 2 times per day.
At that dose, she could affect liver, decrease renal function, and ulcerate her stomach. If inflammation is causing her pain, she is also not getting rid of the causes. You did not say what her "pain, " is, but she should see her pcp asap!

In brief: Over maximum dose!

Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Vikram Patel