Which has the best treatment options for psoriasis: ayurveda, alopathy , homeopathy?

Dr. Pamela Pappas

In brief: Homeopathy

Although some of my colleagues consider this unscientific, there are studies using homeopathy with people suffering from psoriasis.
And these studies are positive. See http://www.Ncbi.Nlm.Nih.Gov/pubmed/19192019 and http://www.Ncbi.Nlm.Nih.Gov/pubmed/17544862 conventional treatment dose not always work, and these are alternatives. Mindfulness meditation has also shown + results in psoriasis.

In brief: Homeopathy

Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Pamela Pappas
2 comments
Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
Homeopathy makes no sense and is strictly placebo. Don't be a sucker.
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Thank you for sharing your opinion, Dr. Dohan. The placebo hypothesis fails when the symptoms of animals and infants respond to accurately prescribed homeopathic medicines. Also -- lots of things we don't understand may appear to make no sense.
Dr. Randy Baker
Holistic Medicine

In brief: No guarantees but...

Allopathy considers psoriasis incurable and thus only aims to provide symptomatic relief which stops when treatment stops.
Both homeopathy and ayurveda have the goal of curing psoriasis by treating the underlying causes. There is no guarantee of success but a good homeopath or ayurvedic practitioner has the potential to cure many who have this condition.

In brief: No guarantees but...

Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Randy Baker
3 comments
Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
These are obvious placebos. WE have useful technology to help psoriasis. The CON MEN will fast talk you out of your money. NOBODY has a cure for psoriasis. If you want help see a dermatologist, not a snake oil salesman.
Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Dohan, your opinion that homeopathy is merely a placebo is not supported by a large body of science including numerous double-blind controlled studies with excellent methodology published in mainstream journals proving homeopathic medicines do work better than placebo. It is clear that you are unfamiliar with this research. Please see my next comment for more:
Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
Dermatology

In brief: Nonsense

If you want proven therapies for control of psoriasis see a dermatologist.
If you prefer junk science or pretend magic, there are many eager to steal your money.

In brief: Nonsense

Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
5 comments
Dr. Ward Dean
Here is just one article that confirms the clinical efficacy of fumaric acid for psoriasis. Br J Dermatol. 1999 Sep;141(3):424-9. Treatment of severe psoriasis with fumaric acid esters: scientific background and guidelines for therapeutic use. The German Fumaric Acid Ester Consensus Conference. Mrowietz U, Christophers E, Altmeyer P. Source Department of Dermatology, University of Kiel, Schittenhelmstr. 7, 24105 Kiel, Germany. [email protected] Abstract Fumaric acid ester (FAE) therapy has proved to be safe and effective in patients with severe psoriasis vulgaris. This treatment was introduced nearly 30 years ago, but is only now gaining renewed interest among dermatologists. FAE therapy is licensed in Germany and registration is pending in many European countries. Multicentre trials have confirmed the beneficial effect of FAE in psoriasis and have defined the spectrum of its adverse effects. Although the mode of action of FAEs in the treatment of psoriasis is not fully understood, recent experimental data point towards a skewing of the Th1-dominated T-cell response in psoriasis to a Th2-like pattern, and inhibition of proliferation of keratinocytes. This article reviews the experimental and clinical information on FAEs in psoriasis and provides guidelines for the clinical use of FAEs derived from a consensus meeting of leading experts.
Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Dohan, I strongly disagree with your characterization of Ayurvedic Medicine and Homeopathy as "nonsense, junk science or pretend magic" as well as the character-assassination of its practitioners as being "eager to steal your money." You obviously are skeptical of these modalities (and just as obviously uninformed on the science that supports them) but it seems petty, mean-spirited and totally unjustified to accuse the thousands of Medical Doctors who practice these as being crooks! There is a large body of scientific research supporting the efficacy of Ayurvedic therapies for psoriasis, as well as homeopathy as an efficacious modality. For links to multiple studies on Ayurveda for psoriasis please see http://www.researchayurveda.org/topics.php A recent extensive review by a committee of doctors by and for the Swiss government concluded that homeopathy is both highly efficacious for a wide variety of conditions and cost-effective. Please see http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dana-ullman/swiss-homeopathy_b_1340506.html Do you believe the Swiss government endorses nonsense and pretend magic? If you have the time and interest, here is a link to an excellent debate between a leading critic of homeopathy and a proponent: http://www.legatum.sk/en:misc:talk-saine-schwarcz While I don't expect you to necessarily endorse these alternatives, I would hope you would stop insulting both the many practitioners and patients who embrace them.
Dr. Ward Dean
Anti-Aging Medicine

In brief: Fumaric Acid

The most effective treatment that I have found for psoriasis is fumaric acid, available over the counter in many health food stores.
Start with 500 mg per day, and increase the dose by an additional 500 mg per day each week. Maximum dose is 3500 mg per day. Somewhere between 500 and 3500, you should begin to see results. Maintain the effective dose. Not a cure, but excellent control.

In brief: Fumaric Acid

Dr. Ward Dean
Dr. Ward Dean