What are the best parenting books?

In brief: Mileage may vary
Well, who gets to decide? No one book works for everyone.
Read a few pages in the middle of each book you see in a bookstore; if it seems to make sense, it may be worth trying. In particular, this book: http://www.Amazon.Com/caring-your-baby-young-child/dp/0553386301 should get you around most pitfalls.

In brief: Mileage may vary
Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky
Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky
4 comments
Dr. Alan Mease
In my opinion Dan Siegel's books give a balanced approach based on neurobiology of the child's developing brain/mind. These are: 1. The Whole Brain Child 2. Parenting from the Inside Out
Dr. Alan Mease
Dr. Dan Siegel has a new book coming out on adolescence entitled BRAINSTORM.
Dr. Roy Benaroch
In brief: Many good ones!
Some of my favorites are brazelton's books (strong on development), aap's birth through five years.
Also, i'll go ahead on plug one of my books here, "solving health and behavioral problems from birth through pre-school".

In brief: Many good ones!
Dr. Roy Benaroch
Dr. Roy Benaroch
Dr. Pamela Lindor
In brief: AAP books
There are many good parenting books out there, but here's a good place to start http://www.
Healthychildren.Org/english/bookstore/pages/default.Aspx the american academy of pediatrics.

In brief: AAP books
Dr. Pamela Lindor
Dr. Pamela Lindor
Dr. Ana Adelstein
Clinical Psychology
In brief: A Classic
One of my all-time favorites is " how to talk so kids will listen and listen so kids will talk.
" it focusses on building the most critical ingredient in healthy relationships: empathy -- that is, the ability to put yourself in someone else's shoes.

In brief: A Classic
Dr. Ana Adelstein
Dr. Ana Adelstein
3 comments
Dr. Johanna Fricke
An oldie but goodie! " Little People" by Ed Christopherson for effective use of time-out. The AAP's "Your Child.." books.
Dr. Howard Gurr
For School age children- and older I always recommend an old stand by " Assertive Discipline for Parents" by Lee Canter.
Dr. Bert Mandelbaum
In brief: Books by the AAP
My favorite parenting books are : caring for your baby and young child, birth to age 5 caring for your school-age child, age 5-12 both books are published by the american academy of pediatrics (aap).

In brief: Books by the AAP
Dr. Bert Mandelbaum
Dr. Bert Mandelbaum
Dr. Timothy Re
Hard to say because many have a bias. Look for clinically based. Researchers don't always make great writers but better.
Dr. Adam Front
Clinical Psychology
In brief: Love & logic
I agree with others who have said that there are many good parenting books.
It also depends what age your kids are and what issues you may be having with them. Check the web site www.Loveandlogic.Com, which has a lot of good books, cds, dvds and other resources, plus a free e-mail newsletter on various parenting issues for all ages and many different issues.

In brief: Love & logic
Dr. Adam Front
Dr. Adam Front
Dr. Anthony Vertino
Clinical Psychology
In brief: older children
Having issues with parenting or behavior? 1-2-3 magic by thomas phelan is a classic.

In brief: older children
Dr. Anthony Vertino
Dr. Anthony Vertino
Dr. Alan Mease
In brief: My favorites
The whole brain child and parenting from the inside out (available in chinese by dan siegel are the best for applying the latest advances in neurobiology to day to day parenting.
Today's major problems in parenting are involved in the parent's self understanding and mental health. A new book on adolescence will be available soon: brainstorm: the power and purpose of the teenage brain by siegel.

In brief: My favorites
Dr. Alan Mease
Dr. Alan Mease
Dr. Howard Gurr
Clinical Psychology
In brief: Parenting books
I believe the best parenting book is "Assertive Discipline For Parents"by lee and Marlene Canter. You can get it on AMAZON - not always available from the library and I never found it in a book store !

In brief: Parenting books
Dr. Howard Gurr
Dr. Howard Gurr
Dr. Shontae Buffington