Ways to prevent yeast infection or a bacterial infection at your vagina? Does it help if I don't wear underwear when I sleep or does it make it worse?

Does not matter. Maintaining a healthy vaginal flora and ph is the best way to avoid overgrowth with unwanted bacteria, like yeast or a mix of anaerobic bacteria, that cause bacterial vaginosis. You should avoid vaginal douches and what often helps are otc vaginal ph balancing gels. They come in packs of single applicators and you get them most of the time in supermarkets, next to the tampons.
Diagnosis & treatmen. The key to recurrent vaginal discharge cure is diligence. Careful testing should be done each episode to make sure you know what you ate treating. With diligence recurrent discharge can almost always be treated. You need to find an obgyn willing to be patient and work with you. Sleeping in underwear is not relevant one way or the other.