I can't breathe in well during exercise, I have stridor and it feels like my throat is tightening. I often faint after exercise. What could this be?

Dr. Sue Ferranti

In brief: See doctor...

If you truly have stridor, this needs to be evaluated asap as this can be a potentially life-threatening symptom. See your doctor today!

In brief: See doctor...

Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Gerald Mandell
Nuclear Medicine

In brief: Exercise asthma

Some people have exercise induced asthma.
You should consult physician for examination and perhaps pulmonary testing and chest radiograph.

In brief: Exercise asthma

Dr. Gerald Mandell
Dr. Gerald Mandell
Dr. Shaym Puppala

In brief: Heart! Lungs!

Anyone having new/worsening shortness of breath with exertion/exercise should avoid such activities & be seen as soon as possible by his/her primary care physician.
A number of problems can cause such symptoms, but poor lung function and cardiac disease (e.g.Coronary artery disease, congestive heart failure, valve dz) top the list.Heart attack could be looming, and medical attention asap is needed.

In brief: Heart! Lungs!

Dr. Shaym Puppala
Dr. Shaym Puppala
Ken Starnes
General Practice

In brief: Go to the doctor

It could be exercise-induced inspiratory stridor, which is caused by the vocal cords tightening during physical activity.
It's often misdiagnosed as exercise-induced asthma. It can be treated. What concerns me is fainting after exercise. It's possible that the eiis is causing the problem, but it can also be the sign of a serious cardiac issue. You need to have this checked out by a doc.

In brief: Go to the doctor

Ken Starnes
Ken Starnes
Answer assisted by Ken Starnes, Medical Student
3 comments
Dr. Phil Zapanta
Assuming, you are not having problems before exercise, this may be paradoxical vocal cord (VC) motion. Your VC should open while you breath in and the opposite may be happening with you when you exercise.
Dr. Shaym Puppala
Excellent point by Dr. Zapanta. Please note: It is well worthwhile avoiding exercise that brings on symptoms, until otherwise advised by an otolaryngologist (ENT), since having air cut off long enough to cause fainting is quite dangerous.
Dr. Marsha Davis