To general surgeons: when a patient should be shaved for inguinal hernia, during anesthesia or before anesthesia (general).

Just prior to cut. Either there should be no shave (which makes placing and removing bandages painful) or just prior to the incision being made.
Either. Special surgical hair clippers are used in the operating room, not a shaving razor. Clipping the hair just immediately prior to surgery reduces risks of infection. Shaving the day or night before surgery increases risks of infection. Hair clipping can be done just before or after the anesthetic, depends on each surgical facility's policies.
Talk to MD. The patient usually has hair clipped after anesthesia. Shaving is not used due to the risk of infection.
Its a lot easier. When you're comfortable, and immediately before the surgical prep in the or. Some places think it's more efficient to shave earlier before, but we do that after anesthesia, and i believe that's best. A few minutes difference shouldn't matter in regard to infection risk.