13 doctors weighed in:

Can a child grow out of adhd?

13 doctors weighed in
Dr. Carla Enriquez
Pediatrics
7 doctors agree

In brief: 30-65% chance

Longitudinal studies lasting more than 20 years have shown that adhd resolves in about 35% of children.
But if stimulant treatement is started before 7 yo, the risk of persisting into adulthood drops to 35%. In other words, if treatment is started early, instead of a 65% chance of still having adhd in adulthood, the risk drops to 35%. Good reason to treat early.

In brief: 30-65% chance

Longitudinal studies lasting more than 20 years have shown that adhd resolves in about 35% of children.
But if stimulant treatement is started before 7 yo, the risk of persisting into adulthood drops to 35%. In other words, if treatment is started early, instead of a 65% chance of still having adhd in adulthood, the risk drops to 35%. Good reason to treat early.
Dr. Carla Enriquez
Dr. Carla Enriquez
Thank
Dr. Thomas Seck
Pediatrics
3 doctors agree

In brief: Kind of/partially

In my experience, children/adults can grow out of the hyperactivity by learning to control it as their brain matures.
The attention/focus problems may improve, but i'm not sure they ever go away. The studies that address this have focused mainly on the symptoms of hyperactivity, since they are easier to measure. Teens with a history of "resolved" adhd still have 2-4 times the risk of car wrecks.

In brief: Kind of/partially

In my experience, children/adults can grow out of the hyperactivity by learning to control it as their brain matures.
The attention/focus problems may improve, but i'm not sure they ever go away. The studies that address this have focused mainly on the symptoms of hyperactivity, since they are easier to measure. Teens with a history of "resolved" adhd still have 2-4 times the risk of car wrecks.
Dr. Thomas Seck
Dr. Thomas Seck
Thank
Dr. William Singer
Pediatrics - Neurology

In brief: Yes

About 50% of children with ADHD will outgrow their symptoms by the end of high School.

In brief: Yes

About 50% of children with ADHD will outgrow their symptoms by the end of high School.
Dr. William Singer
Dr. William Singer
Thank
Dr. Andres R Villar
Pediatrics

In brief: Maybeeee!

Some kids seem to do better at adolescence, some adolescents at adulthood.
The important question is whether the child, adolescent, or adult has learn to control the behavior so it is no longer causing significant impairement.

In brief: Maybeeee!

Some kids seem to do better at adolescence, some adolescents at adulthood.
The important question is whether the child, adolescent, or adult has learn to control the behavior so it is no longer causing significant impairement.
Dr. Andres R Villar
Dr. Andres R Villar
Thank
Dr. Carla Enriquez
Pediatrics

In brief: Possibly

See my health guide on adhd for an answer to same question.

In brief: Possibly

See my health guide on adhd for an answer to same question.
Dr. Carla Enriquez
Dr. Carla Enriquez
Thank
Get help from a real doctor now
Dr. Shontae Buffington
Board Certified, Pediatrics
13 years in practice
846K people helped
Continue
108,000 doctors available
Read more answers from doctors