Can a child grow out of adhd?

Dr. Carla Enriquez

In brief: 30-65% chance

Longitudinal studies lasting more than 20 years have shown that adhd resolves in about 35% of children.
But if stimulant treatement is started before 7 yo, the risk of persisting into adulthood drops to 35%. In other words, if treatment is started early, instead of a 65% chance of still having adhd in adulthood, the risk drops to 35%. Good reason to treat early.

In brief: 30-65% chance

Dr. Carla Enriquez
Dr. Carla Enriquez
Dr. Thomas Seck

In brief: Kind of/partially

In my experience, children/adults can grow out of the hyperactivity by learning to control it as their brain matures.
The attention/focus problems may improve, but i'm not sure they ever go away. The studies that address this have focused mainly on the symptoms of hyperactivity, since they are easier to measure. Teens with a history of "resolved" adhd still have 2-4 times the risk of car wrecks.

In brief: Kind of/partially

Dr. Thomas Seck
Dr. Thomas Seck
Dr. William Singer
Pediatrics - Neurology

About 50% of children with ADHD will outgrow their symptoms by the end of high School.

Dr. William Singer
Dr. William Singer
Dr. Andres R Villar

In brief: Maybeeee!

Some kids seem to do better at adolescence, some adolescents at adulthood.
The important question is whether the child, adolescent, or adult has learn to control the behavior so it is no longer causing significant impairement.

In brief: Maybeeee!

Dr. Andres R Villar
Dr. Andres R Villar
Dr. Carla Enriquez

In brief: Possibly

See my health guide on adhd for an answer to same question.

In brief: Possibly

Dr. Carla Enriquez
Dr. Carla Enriquez
Dr. Shontae Buffington