My 13 year brother has pain in his heel whenever he runs during playing football.What could be the cause and treatment for this?

Dr. Mark Galland
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Heel pain

People usually describe pain in one of two places as "heel pain".
Pain on the bottom is typically due to plantar fasciitis (www.Drmarkgalland.Com 1/16/13), while pain on the back may be sever's disease (www.Drmarkgalland.Com 9/12/12). Either of these could be the case with your brother. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

In brief: Heel pain

Dr. Rudolf Zak
Podiatry

In brief: Heel pain

Sounds like sever's disease.
A common complaint with adolescent athletes who play high impact sports. Treatment is rest ice orthotics and stretching the calf.

In brief: Heel pain

Sounds like sever's disease.

In brief: Sever's Disease

A common cause of heel pain in children is inflammation of the growth plate of the bone.
In the heel, this is known as calcaneal apophysitis or sever's disease. Treatment would include stopping the activities which cause the pain, ice, elevation, anti-inflammatories. Heel lifts and orthotics could be helpful. I would recommend evaluation by a podiatrist or foot and ankle orthopedist.

In brief: Sever's Disease

In brief: Heel spur

He either has plantar fasciitis (inflammation of the plantar ligament) or a heel spur formation.
He should see a podiatrist for x-rays and injections or orthotics.

In brief: Heel spur

Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine