My baby was born with severe neumonia. My wife gbs was negative but still received antibiotics during labor cause she was + in the past. What happened ?

Dr. Nasiruddin Mansury
Pediatrics - Neonatology
In brief: GBS
Having negative gbs status does not completely rule out pneumonia from gbs.
Mom can acquire gbs later in pregnancy. Besides gbs, there are many other reasons for baby having pneumonia. Other common pneumonia is related to e coli.

In brief: GBS
Dr. Nasiruddin Mansury
Dr. Nasiruddin Mansury
Dr. Bryan Levey
In brief: Can't say for sure
Pneumonia is a problem in the lungs.
It can be caused by different kinds of bacteria (including gbs). It can be caused by "aspiration, " which is when the baby inhales something it shouldn't into the lungs (like meconium, which is baby poop), or from other causes. The fact that your wife got antibiotics might be unrelated to what happened to your baby. Depends on the type of pneumonia.

In brief: Can't say for sure
Pneumonia is a problem in the lungs.
Dr. Bryan Levey
Dr. Bryan Levey
Dr. Cindy Juster