Does colic require medical attention?

Only to make sure that it is, in fact, colic, and not a more serious condition such as reflux ("baby heartburn").
Colic is crying for no apparent reason; if a reason exists and needs to be treated, then it isn't colic. In my experience, colic can almost always be treated by taking a car ride with the baby (properly restrained in an appropriate car seat, of course).

Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky
Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky
6 comments
Dr. Alan Mease
First make sure that the baby is healthy by seeing the pediatrician. My definition of colic is unexplained crying in an infant < 6 months. Some think that it is caused by gas and it does occasionally respond to anti gas meds. I think the best strategies are Harvey Karp's 5 S's: Swaddling, Side position, Shhhh ing sound; Swinging and Sucking. See book! Check you self for depression!
Dr. Roy Benaroch
In brief: No
Anything requires medical attention if you're worried, but if your child has the most typical pattern of colic (crying almost exclusively in the evenings during set hours, while being fine during the day, and growth and feeding and developing normally), then there's no medical testing or therapy necessary.

In brief: No
Dr. Roy Benaroch
Dr. Roy Benaroch
Dr. Mark Diamond
I would agree with the above,except the "classical" definition of colic is 24/7 problems,not just evenings.
Dr. Charlene Sojico
In brief: Not necessarily
But it causes a lot of stress, anxiety , agony , sleepless nights and paranoia - what if it is something else more serious?!? Baby ended up being seen anyway.
Patience, reassurance, staying calm helps. Colic is self limiting. It can be as short as 3 months, 6 months, a year to three years! most last only three months and your child will be a totally different baby. God sent angel :))).

In brief: Not necessarily
Dr. Charlene Sojico
Dr. Charlene Sojico
Dr. Faryal Ghaffar
In brief: Colic
The etiology of colic in unknown.
Some kids well haver colic like pain from formula intolerance.

In brief: Colic
The etiology of colic in unknown.
Dr. Faryal Ghaffar
Dr. Faryal Ghaffar
Dr. Bert Mandelbaum
In brief: No
Infants who are colicky, but are otherwise well, do not need medical attention.
Most colicky infants are happy for most of the day and feed well. Some warning signs that should prompt medical attention are fever, poor feeding, decreased urination or bowel movements and irritable infants who do not have periods of being happy.

In brief: No
Dr. Bert Mandelbaum
Dr. Bert Mandelbaum
Dr. Jonathan Jassey