Should I wean slowly off of breast milk?

Mileage may vary. Depends on the child's eagerness to embrace other foods, and on your ability to continue nursing. Stopping abruptly is mainly harmless, and some children do it on their own when they are able to express preferences. For others, slow weaning may be easier.
Breastfeeding. You have to do whatever works for you and your baby, there is no right or wrong way to do it.
Maybe. This helps prevent breast engorgement for you. Medically, there is nothing wrong with making a dramatic switch but this can be painful for mom.