I want 2 quit smoking. I can't afford any cessesion products. I've cut back from 3 packs to 1.5, & can't go lower. Support groups didn't help. Advice?

Dr. Tracy Berg
Surgery
In brief: Don't give up!!
Congratulations on your goal to quit nicotine.
Nicotine is a powerful vasoconstrictor (decreases blood flow) in addition to being a carcinogen. Nicotine is highly addictive; difficult to quit. Since you are stalled at 1.5 packs a day, my advice is to hold on your weaning for about 4 weeks. Then, if you are able, decrease your daily consumption at a slower rate. You can achieve your goal.

In brief: Don't give up!!
Dr. Tracy Berg
Dr. Tracy Berg
Dr. Kristin Cox
Consider the plateau you are at...1.5 packs per day. That is half of your entire goal. Sit at that plateau and think of how far youve come and when you think would be a good time to strive harder again. But definitly live in the moment of having cut back your tobacco use in half! Congratulations.
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Addiction Medicine
In brief: You CAN afford it
You were spending as much as $600/month on tobacco at 3 packs.
The amount your are saving now would pay for a lot of smoking cessation help. Many health insurances cover it, and there are free public programs for smoking cessation in many communities. Try 1-800-quit-now and see if you can find something in your area. You cannot afford not quitting. Combo of meds/support groups works better.

In brief: You CAN afford it
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Jane Van Dis