What causes heel spurs?

Wolff's Law... Paraphrased, bone grows in relation to stress. When an abnormal "pull" is placed on the bone, it will grow in that direction over time. After enough time, a "heel spur" can be visualized. It's more the sign of a chronic condition that the source of the pain.
TENSION/INFLAMMATION. Heel spurs usually develop when tension and inflammation are both present. The heel is pulled upon by two strong soft tissue structures. The achilles tendon pulls on the back of the heel, and the plantar fascia on the bottom. After time, these opposing forces causes irritation/inflammation around the attachments on the bone, and these spurs develop. The spur itself usually isn't the source of pain.
Plantar fasciitis. In my experience, heel spurs are most commonly seen in patients who have plantar fasciitis. The area of the heel which develops the spur is the insertion point of the plantar fascia. When you walk, the plantar fascia excessivelly pulls at the site of its insertion which causes a spur over time. There's another condition which causes bone spurs all over the body but this is rare.