My husband is mad at the baby because she will not play with him. What should I do?

In brief: Tough one...

I seriously doubt that's even close to the full story.
Children are very good at picking up the mood and attitude of the people with them (it's called empathy), and if your husband is tense when he approaches the child, the child will tense up back at him. So whatever it is that's really bothering your husband is what you should address. The child will play with whoever is in a playful mood.

In brief: Tough one...

Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky
Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky
4 comments
Dr. Alan Mease
Yes this is a complicated situation. First how old is the baby? The ability to interact and actually play is a developmental milestone based on age. Two year-olds are know for resistance or indifference toward interactive play. Interactive play emerges by age 3. The other question is the role of the father? Father's often feel left out after a baby is born as the mother's full attention goes to the child. A date night without the child can be helpful.
Dr. Charlene Sojico
Please tell your husband to be as calm as possible even though he is about to explode. It is a vicious cycle between dad and baby over reacting to each other. The baby wants to be in control. Both are overstimulated and need to cool off. Dad be smart. Baby is just learning to cope with life. Their only defense is crying, screaming, tantrums etc-you name it. They always win, cus we get sucked in!!!
Dr. Mark Diamond

In brief: Be Slow.Be Patient

The other answers in this section are all correct.
I would only emphasize, that the harder dad tries to get the baby to interact, usually the more tense the situation becomes. Be slow and patient. Let the baby warm up to you. Do not push. With slow patient approach, this issue resolves itself.

In brief: Be Slow.Be Patient

Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Mark Diamond

In brief: Patience

Your husband & other inlaws in her life need to understand that her attention is not their birthright.
Babies are interactive beings with no internal "rule book" of who their supposed to like. Their basic drive is to be with those who provide the greatest comfort & consistancy. They commonly cry if separated from their chosen best buddy starting at 6 mo.Dad needs to be close by more & be patient.

In brief: Patience

In brief: Patience

Provided you trust your husband not to hurt the baby if he is mad, give him more time alone with the baby.
Make sure he knows not to take a baby's actions personally. Most babies go through phases when they prefer the mother and then phases when they prefer the father. The baby needs both its parents to thrive.

In brief: Patience

Dr. Sharon Gilliland
Dr. Sharon Gilliland
Dr. Adam Levy