I had 4 sinus infections in a month 1/2 I waa told it was because I had allergies that I didn't know I had.. Can allergies cause sinus infections?

Dr. Cindy Juster

In brief: In a way.

Allergies cause sinus and nasal mucus production, as well as swelling of the lining of the nose and sinuses.
Since the openings into the sinuses are pretty small to begin with, swelling+drainage+any bacteria that got into a sinus=sinus infection. Work with your doctor to get your allergies under control, and your rate of sinus infections should drop. Feel better!

In brief: In a way.

Dr. Cindy Juster
Dr. Cindy Juster
Dr. Arthur Heller
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: Can do. See ENT too

Allergies can get passages inflamed, can't drain as well, get infected.
Can also lead to nasal (inflammatory) polyps which increase risk for infections too. Get a good ENT evaluation to rule out anatomical predisposing porblems. Allergist can be good idea too.

In brief: Can do. See ENT too

Dr. Arthur Heller
Dr. Arthur Heller
Dr. Brian Novick
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: It can be a factor

4 sinus infections in 6 weeks may actually be one infection that was difficult to clear up.
Allergies can be an underlying factor, but not the actual cause. Having a consult with an allergist sounds like a good idea to help you figure out what is going on.

In brief: It can be a factor

Dr. Brian Novick
Dr. Brian Novick
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine