Whats the average amount of Xanax (alprazolam) a person should take?

Dr. Julian Bragg
Neurology

In brief: Little as possible

While Xanax (alprazolam) can be very helpful in the short term, it should only be used as a rescue medicine and not be taken on a regular basis.
As a general rule, if you are needing more than 1 tablet per week for more than a month or so, that is a sign that a longer-lasting medication should be added to allow cutting down on the xanax (alprazolam).

In brief: Little as possible

Dr. Julian Bragg
Dr. Julian Bragg
Dr. Samuel Bayles
i agree with Dr Bragg. xanax is a poor choice for long term control of anxiety. it should be used rarely or as a rescue medication.
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Addiction Medicine

In brief: Isn't an average

Depends on the level of anxiety, the diagnosis and other health factors, including other medications.
The average starting dose of xanax (alprazolam) is 0.5 mg two to three times daily. The average amount that my patients have reported is 3 mg per day (1 mg three times daily), but the range is from 0.25 mg at night to as much as 12 mg per day. This latter amount, in my opinion, is excessive for most people.

In brief: Isn't an average

Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Eric Weisman