What to do to soften baby's stool, she goes to the bathroom but is hard n painful sometimes with strike of blood?

In brief: Depends on situation

Young infants often respond to the natural softeners in full strength apple or prune juice, 1-2 oz offered 1-2x daily, but this takes 2-3 days to work & often needs to be continued daily.
Older kids need too avoid applesause, rice cereal & bananas that tend to firm stools in any amount extra fluids help as does the above juices.Occasionally I use MiraLAX (polyethylene glycol) in infants as a gentil wetting agent.

In brief: Depends on situation

Dr. Dennis Higginbotham