I have hyperparathyroidism due to vitamin d2 deficiency, is it due to my obesity BMI 42, I also have low testosterone, and but B12 deficiency ?

Dr. Melissa Young
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Low D & testosterone

Both are common in men who are obese.
Vitamin d is needed for calcium absorption in the gut. If this is impaired, the body makes PTH to get calcium from the bone. Fat cells also convert testosterone to estrogen leading to low t. Honestly not sure of B12 connection.

In brief: Low D & testosterone

Both are common in men who are obese.
Dr. Melissa Young
Dr. Melissa Young
Dr. Robert Lang
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

Obese people tend to have low vitamin d because they require higher doses to raise their level and they tend to spend less time in the sun with enough skin exposed to make vitamin d.
The hyperparathyroidism is secondary to the vitamin d deficiency because you can not absorb calcium with a low vitamin d so the body will raise the parathyroid level and take calcium from your bones. Take vitamin d.

Dr. Robert Lang
Dr. Robert Lang
Dr. Peter Kurzweil