Will the contraceptive injection help regulate my period when I have polycystic ovaries, as the pill is not regulating them?

Dr. Suzanne Ferreee

In brief: Maybe

Remember, of you are under 20, there is an increased risk of breast cancer from using birth control pills.
If you don't need them to prevent pregnancy, and only to control cycles, consider regular exercise 30 mins moderate intensity 4 days/wk, metformin, and 10 days of Progesterone only on day of cycle 18-28. If you do need birth control, too, consider Mirena (levonorgestrel) iud instead of shots.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Suzanne Ferreee
Dr. Suzanne Ferreee
Dr. Mark Perloe
Fertility Medicine

In brief: Maybe PCOS

If you have pcos, low glycemic diet, exercise and an Insulin sensitizer such as metformin would be much better than Depo Provera (medroxyprogesterone) injections.

In brief: Maybe PCOS

Dr. Mark Perloe
Dr. Mark Perloe
Dr. Cayce Jehaimi
Pediatrics - Endocrinology

In brief: Possible

I am I am assuming that you're referring to Depo Provera (medroxyprogesterone) as the injectable contraceptive method you're using.
If that's the case, then your pcos/androgen levels may improve based on few studies done in the past ( on a personal level I have not seen it especially it can raise prolactin levels). The obvious downside from use of depot Provera is gain if weight which can exacerbate your condition.

In brief: Possible

Dr. Cayce Jehaimi
Dr. Cayce Jehaimi
Dr. Jane Van Dis