What should I do if i think I have some form of neuralgia ? Have had constant stabbing/throbbing headache and neck pain since agust scalp is tender 2

Dr. Steven Bender
Dentistry

In brief: Neuralgia

I recommend seeing a physician who is board certified in headache or an orofacial pain dentist.
This does not sound like it is related to teeth clenching or your tmjs. In some cases, problems in the neck will cause headaches like yours. This can be termed cervicogenic headache or in some cases, it is described as occipital neuralgia.

In brief: Neuralgia

Dr. Steven Bender
Dr. Steven Bender
Dr. Jose Barreto
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine

In brief: Evaluation

Visit your doctor for an evaluation.
This will help identify the type of headache and treat accordingly. For neuralgia in that area, different types of treatment can be tried including manual therapy and injections.

In brief: Evaluation

Visit your doctor for an evaluation.
Dr. Jose Barreto
Dr. Jose Barreto
Theresa Yang
General Practice

In brief: See a dentist

Your symptoms are classic for someone who clenches their teeth.
It affects all the muscles around the ear, neck, shoulders and scalp region on the side of the head. Morning headaches are common. A good dentist can make a bite appliance to reduce clenching and improve your sleep as well. It is worth checking out.

In brief: See a dentist

Theresa Yang
Theresa Yang
Answer assisted by Theresa Yang, Medical Student

In brief: See your physician

Headache and scalp tenderness can be related to an inflammation of the nerves, skin or vascular system.
A careful history and exam wil usually detect any neuralgia such as occipital neuralgia which can cause headache , neck pain and scalp tenderness.

In brief: See your physician

Dr. Christopher Marquart
Dr. Christopher Marquart
Dr. Gregg Friedman
Gregg L. Friedman MD Psychiatrist agrees
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine