My blood pressure is at 120/75/90 n would like to know if is ok to take l-arginine. Is this supplement good for heart health? 1000 mg pills. Thank you

Dr. Tonga Nfor
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Evidence is limited

L-arginine is generally safe.
Some believe it may be beneficial in patients with certain arterial diseases, but there are no good scientific clinical trials to prove that. I would not recommend it if you do not have specific cardiovascular disease.

In brief: Evidence is limited

L-arginine is generally safe.
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Dr. Alex Mompoint
Pain Management

In brief: L-Arginine therapy

L-arginine is a precursor of nitric oxide.
Nitric oxide plays a role in cardiac contractility, oxygen consumption, blood flow. Evidence suggest it is useful to improve heart functions in individuals with impaired heart chamber function (i.e. heart failure). In high blood pressure (HTN) L-arginine is useful with caution if other medications are being used for HTN (i.e. Nitrates)

In brief: L-Arginine therapy

Dr. Alex Mompoint
Dr. Alex Mompoint
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine