Ct scan showed upper left adnexal region cystic mass 4.2x3.2x4.2cm with thickened enhancing rim, suggested follow up ultrasound. What does this mean?

Dr. Harry Zegel
Radiology

In brief: Depends

If you are still having periods, it may just be a prominent functional follicular cyst.
In a post menopausal patient it may be more concerning. I’d see a gyn and get an endovaginal us to further characterize.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Anthony Filly
Radiology

In brief: See below

Ct scans are not particularly good at assessing adnexal (ovarian) abnormalities while ultrasound is excellent.
They saw an abnormality in your ovary on the ct scan and want to better characterize it as suspicious for cancer or not.

In brief: See below

Dr. Steven Seres