What are some reasons a regular menstrual cycle might become very irregular?

Dr. Michael Traub
Fertility Medicine

In brief: Multiple Reasons

There are many. Irregular periods can be hormonal from thyroid disease, elevated prolactin, or from pcos.
It can be a sign of aging of the ovaries. Stress can play a role. Something physical like a fibroid or a uterine polyp can also cause that to occur. It is important to have a complete evaluation.

In brief: Multiple Reasons

Dr. Michael Traub
Dr. Michael Traub
Dr. Michael Opsahl
Fertility Medicine

In brief: Not ovulating

Failure to ovulate is a common cause of an irregular menstrual period.
I agree with everything dr traub said but i wanted to emphasize this point. If you have a solitary irregular cycle then it probably is not so important. But regular "irregularity" suggests a medical problem and time for testing. We have great treatments for this problem too :) best wishes.

In brief: Not ovulating

Dr. Michael Opsahl
Dr. Michael Opsahl
Dr. Adam Levy