I'm suppose to have a lumbar fusion on my lower back soon and recently been waking up with numbness in both arms, is this related?

Yes and no. The problems you are having in your lumbar spine are not causing the symptoms in your arms, but new numbess in the arms may be indicative of the same degenerative process which occurs in the lower, or lumbar spine, only occuring in the neck, or cervical spine. If the symptoms persist or worsen, you should let your surgeon know prior to any planned surgery.
Not directly. The most common cause of numbness in the hands is peripheral nerve entrapment syndromes such as carpal tunnel syndrome, also can be a pin hing of nerves in the neck, or a neuropathy. Often a.Detailed history, exam, and appropriate studies can determine the cause. It should probably be sorted out before your surgery. Thank you for your question.
Needs Evaluation. Patients with degenerative disease in their lumbar spine will often have similar degeneration in the cervical spine that may be producing your hand symptoms. It is critical that you have an evaluation of your neck prior to proceeding with the low back surgery.