My nose has been stuffed up for the last few weeks but I do not have a cold and its not like that all day. What can I do over-the-counter meds?

Dr. Steven Machtinger
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology
In brief: Antihistamines don't
Work well for congestion.
They're good for other symptoms of allergy like itchy nose & eyes, sneezing, runny nose & post nasal drip. For congestion you need to add a decongestant. You can try Allegra d, Claritin d, or zyrtec d. All of these combination products are available without prescription but you have to ask for them at the pharmacy counter. Make sure to read the precautions before using.

In brief: Antihistamines don't
Work well for congestion.
Dr. Steven Machtinger
Dr. Steven Machtinger
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
Flushing the nasal passages with OTC salt-water spray may also help congestion.
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
In brief: Allergy
It could be allergy to something.
Try neti pot nasal irrigations. I find them very helpful in relieving allergy symptoms and nasal congestion. Also, simple meds such as benadryl, (diphenhydramine) claritin, zyrtec or Allegra could be tried on a first line basis.

In brief: Allergy
It could be allergy to something.
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
2 comments
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
if you use a neti pot, be certain to use only distilled water or water you have boiled to prevent amebas getting into the brain
Dr. Brian Novick
Some people find the NetiPot very uncomfortable to use.. they also make "squeeze" bottles for nasal rinsing
Dr. Peter Kurzweil