Got into a car accient about 3 years ago. Doctors say now I have arthritus, but I also feel pain in back. Could it be nerve damage?

Dr. Brian Le
Pain Management

In brief: Back pain

The back pain can be caused by muscle strain, spinal stenosis, ruptured disc, nerve impingement .
.. The treatment depends on the cause of the pain. I recommend you see a pain specialist. You might benefit from a comprehensive evaluation and treatment.

In brief: Back pain

Dr. Brian Le
Dr. Brian Le
Dr. Olav Jaren
Neurology

In brief: Nerve pain

Nerve pain often feels like an electrical or burning sensation, and it may be associated with numbness in the same area.
An injured back may be associated with nerve damage, especially in the lumbar spine, the part of the spine below the ribs.

In brief: Nerve pain

Dr. Olav Jaren
Dr. Olav Jaren
Dr. David Rosenfeld
Pain Management

In brief: Maybe

You could have a disc herniation although if your pain is only in the back (does not go down the legs as well) i would doubt it.
More likely you have degenerative arthritis in the back. See your family doctor. Plain xrays will help, but an MRI is better. Either way these problems can be treated/managed with medication, physical therapy and if needed injections.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. David Rosenfeld
Dr. David Rosenfeld
Dr. Eric Weisman