Should I take anti-depressants if I have post-partum depression?

Dr. Donald Hazlett
In brief: Depends on severity
And any past history of depression, post-partum or otherwise.
It is absolutely imperitive that a woman, post partum, experiencing any degree of depression, get a medical evaluation right away to determine what type of intervention is needed to deal with that depression. That intervention may include antidepressant medication and probably counseling as well. It's too serious a problem to ignore.

In brief: Depends on severity
Dr. Donald Hazlett
Dr. Donald Hazlett
Dr. Shaym Puppala
I agree 100% with Dr. Hazlett. Untreated depression can interfere with the bonding between mother and infant and with the ability for the mother to care adequately for the child. As a result, there can be detrimental effects for both mother and child.
Dr. Ian Taras
There are "shades of grey" when it comes to post-partum blues to post-partum depression to post-partum psychosis.
There is a good chance that an anti-depressant will relieve the symptoms of the depression. It is often a medication that you'll take for only 3 months.

Dr. Ian Taras
Dr. Ian Taras
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham