I've just discovered a small pea sized lump behind my right ear on the bone. It is slightly raised but not painful .Is this dangerous ?

Dr. Anifat Balogun
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Lump behind ear

This pea-sized lump behind your ear on the bone is likely an enlarged lymph node.
They are typically somewhat mobile and are not painful. It is not dangerous, but can be concerning if it continues to grow, becomes painful, or the skin over the lump begins to break down.

In brief: Lump behind ear

Dr. Anifat Balogun
Dr. Anifat Balogun
Dr. Bernstein Joel
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Lymph node

The most common pea sized lump behind the external ear is a lymph node or lymph gland.
It most likely represents a first line of defense secondary to a mild infection of the scalp or neck. What is very important, however, is whether or not it steadily increases in size. If it remains the same size and is isolated only to the ear, no worries. If it gets larger, it requires a biopsy.

In brief: Lymph node

Dr. Bernstein Joel
Dr. Bernstein Joel
Dr. Keegan Duchicela