How often should a healthy middle aged adult have a physical examination?

Dr. Paul Hartlaub
Preventive Medicine

In brief: Probably every 1-2 y

There is little or no research that guides us on how often to do check ups.
I agree with dr. Klauber that every year or so makes sense, mostly because we learn new information all the time about what cancer screenings, blood tests, vaccines and lifestyle (diet and exercise, mostly) make sense, and it is good to keep current on these. A good resource is an iphone app called my health checklist.

In brief: Probably every 1-2 y

Dr. Paul Hartlaub
Dr. Paul Hartlaub
Dr. Susan Rhoads
Also, you form a relationship with a physician (hopefully), & when your routine physical is a positive experience, it strengthens your relationship, and your trust in your doc. If you think your physician is a good doctor when you are well, you will have more faith in his advice when you are sick. Plus, your doc will see you at your best & use it as a guide to the success of the treatment.
Dr. George Klauber
Pediatrics - Urology

In brief: Yearly

Ideally once a year. Your blood pressure should be checked every year as well as your urine.
You are with yourself every day so you may not notice abormal things which develop very slowly, eg moles on the skin.

In brief: Yearly

Dr. George Klauber
Dr. George Klauber
Dr. Peter Kurzweil