How can I get relief of an ear infection?

Treat the infection. Infection of the outer ear canal (otitis externa), typically is itchy or painful, discharge from the ear often; treatment ear drops with an antibiotic and some topical cortisone. An inner ear infection (otitis media) generally is more painful and is pus trapped behind the eardrum (often coming from a sinus infection) and requires an oral antibiotic. If it is truly an infection, rx requires a doc.
Ear Infection relief. Whether it is an external or middle ear infection you can get pain relief by taking a medicine like tylenol (acetaminophen) or ibuprofen. The key to resolve the infection is antibiotic +/- antiinflammatory drops in the event of an external ear infection and possibly and oral antibiotic, in the vent of a middle ear infection.