My dentist says I have an infection in my gums. Could this be causing my headaches?

Dr. John Chastain
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Probably not

It is highly unlikely that gingivitis would cause a headache.
Some other dental issues, e.g. Tmj dysfunction, indeed cause headaches.

In brief: Probably not

Dr. John Chastain
Dr. John Chastain
Dr. Louis Gallia
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: Possible

Possible but unlikely.
Treat your perio problems. If headaches persist, see your MD.

In brief: Possible

Possible but unlikely.
Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. John Kong
Dentistry

In brief: Depends

If the infection in your gums is advanced enough to have caused an abscess or significant swelling around the tooth, the pain from it can give you headaches.
However, this is something so obvious you probably don't need your dentist to tell you. In most cases, outside of swelling or looses teeth, periodontitis (gum disease) is normally not linked to headaches.

In brief: Depends

Dr. John Kong
Dr. John Kong
Dr. Ronald Achong
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: It can

There are many causes of headaches and gum disease is not high on the list.
However, do get treated for the gum infection. Hopefully your headaches will resolved. If headaches continue, see a trudenta doctor that is trained in managing headaches. Go to www.Trudetna.Com to find a doctor in your area.

In brief: It can

Dr. Ronald Achong
Dr. Ronald Achong
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry

In brief: Unlikely

From what you describe, it is unlikely the headache is a result of your dental problem. However, we have limited information available to us.
It is more likely the headache is of other origin. I have found that when patients are under stress or anxiety related to going to the dentist, they may develop a headache.

In brief: Unlikely

Dr. Gary Sandler
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dr. Ron E. Bell
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: Depends

It depends on the degree of the infection and if the condition is generalized or localized.
See dentist or periodontist.

In brief: Depends

See dentist or periodontist.
Dr. Ron E. Bell
Dr. Ron E. Bell

If you have a severe gum problem, this can cause all sorts of other issues.
A gum infection can also loosen teeth. Unstable teeth leads to an unstable bite. That leads to all sorts of headaches. Get the gum infection resolved as quickly as you can. You may also need some sort of interim mouthguard or night guard to help take pressure and inflammation out of your facial muscles and head.

Dr. Scott Greenhalgh
Dr. Scott Greenhalgh
Dr. Jason Cataldo
Dentistry - Periodontics

In brief: Possibly

This is a difficult issue to correlate! you've received many very good answers.
If you've seen a dentist and they told you about the infection, they have probably recommended treatment. It may be wise to follow through with this treatment recommendation and see if it resolves. If it doesn't you'll at least know that it's not related to the gums. It can be frustrating but hang in there!

In brief: Possibly

Dr. Jason Cataldo
Dr. Jason Cataldo