How do I tell the difference in a dry or mucusy cough in 2yr old and how do I treat them differently?

Dr. Pamela Moore

In brief: Cough is a cough

In a 2 year old, we generally don't worry about whether the cough is dry or wet.
We are most concerned with other symptoms along with the cough such as fever, trouble breathing, wheezing, etc. It doesn't matter whether the cough is wet or dry - that's mostly how medication companies classify them to try to sell you different products. If you child has a cough and you're worried, go see the doc.

In brief: Cough is a cough

Dr. Pamela Moore
Dr. Pamela Moore
Dr. Anifat Balogun
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Cough in 2yr old

Whether a cough is "wet" or "dry" is a function of the amount of fluid/ mucus in the airway.
What is more important is how frequent the cough is and how long the cough has been going on for. Please take your child in to see your pediatrician or family doctor for a check up.

In brief: Cough in 2yr old

Dr. Anifat Balogun
Dr. Anifat Balogun
Dr. Jonathan Jassey