Are there any risks[ie tendon rupture] for having steriod injection for conditions like tennis elbow? Thanks

Dr. Frank Holmes
Sports Medicine

In brief: Some

The common extensor tendon of the elbow rarely ruptures; however, too many cortisone injections (> 2) can weaken the tendon and make it more prone to microtears.
Consider platelet-rich plasma or similar instead.

In brief: Some

Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: I do not think so

Tendon rupture may happen in other locations but in the elbow.
Cortisone shots carry a risk of complications, such as: death of nearby bone joint infection nerve damage skin and soft tissue thinning around injection site temporary flare of pain and inflammation in the joint tendon weakening or rupture thinning of nearby bone (osteoporosis) whitening or lightening of the skin at the site.

In brief: I do not think so

Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine