My daughter recently had acquired periorbital cellulutus while in her daycare setting. Is there any way to detrrmine what the specific cause was?

Dr. Cindy Juster

In brief: Probably not.

Periorbital cellulitis is an infection of the tissues around the eye, and can start with a break in the skin (even a bug bite), or spread from infection of nearby tissues (impetigo, stye, conjunctivitis), from a sinus infection or even through the bloodstream. A wide variety of bacteria can cause this, and antibiotic treatment is needed, sometimes by iv.
I hope she feels better soon!

In brief: Probably not.

I hope she feels better soon!
Dr. Cindy Juster
Dr. Cindy Juster

In brief: Possibly

This arises from germ invasion from sinuses, skin or blood.
A blood sample before abx may grow the germ, but often will not.Direct needle sampling from the infected tissue could get the germ but is dangerous and could push the germ into additional areas. In most cases we just treat for likely germs.As far as a source at day care;the usual germs could be from any asymptomaic kid/adult.

In brief: Possibly