Does a high white blood cell count lead to heart problems?

No. Aka WBC is a general nonspecific blood test that informs function of your immune cells. A high white count tells that there's some sort of inflammatory condition in your body ranging from infections to malignancies. So the answer is no.
Not directly. But a high white blood cell count if indicative of something else that's wrong. I assume it's being investigated since you know about it. Endocarditis (infection of the heart valves) can cause a high white blood count and your doctor is probably ruling that out as one of many possible causes.