How can I tell if I have a cold or allergies?

Dr. Cindy Juster
In brief: See below.
Sometimes, it's hard to tell the difference! if there's a fever, it's not allergies.
Itchy nose or throat points more to allergies. The mucus membranes in your nose tend to get pale and pretty boggy with allergies, but that's something you'd have to have your doctor look at for you with a scope.

In brief: See below.
Dr. Cindy Juster
Dr. Cindy Juster
Dr. Andrew Murphy
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology
In brief: Can be hard
A cold is a self limiting infection that will resolve in a week or two typically associated with a fever and generally not feeling well.
Allergy on the other hand does not cause fever, usually lasts for weeks ( spring or fall for example) and does not cause other symptoms like achiness. There is a lot of overlap and in the fall and winter time you may experience both. See your doc for for hel.

In brief: Can be hard
Dr. Andrew Murphy
Dr. Andrew Murphy
Dr. Vicken Poochikian