I sprained my ancle a year ago. It was swollen, not blue. I had exercises, but it still feels unstable and hurts with running. How long can it last?

Dr. Christopher Dougherty
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Ankle fracture

There may be articular cartilage damage or loose pieces in the joint.
The lining of the joint may also be very inflamed. The ligament may not have healed properly as well. I would see your orthopedic surgeon to let them know you ate having these kinds of symptoms.

In brief: Ankle fracture

In brief: Ankle

If you sprained your ankle more than a year ago and it was not properly treated, this could lead to long term pain and instability.
Patients that experience multiple ankle sprains sometimes have weaker ankle ligaments and have a feeling that the ankle wants to give out. You should consider wearing an ankle brace when exercising and performing high impact activities.

In brief: Ankle

Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine