How do I get my baby on a sleep routine?

Baby schedule. There is no need to start a rigid schedule right after the baby is born. A new born has the day/night confused, is getting used to environment outside the womb. Over the next 3-4 months the baby will have his/her own schedule - going from multiple naps to one nap in the afternoon and sleeping more through the night. Mother need to get her schedule fixed around baby's schedule.
Consistent routine. Consistency and patience is the best way to establish routines. Remember that baby's cannot really consolidate daytime sleeping until about 8 weeks of age, at which time they begin a pattern of morning napping (afternoon naps come a bit later). Try to put them down after a familiar routine at the same time each am and each bedtime. Babies, like adults, like patterns and knowing what to expect.