How can I tell the difference between dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis? Is there any harm in using sd shampoo if it's only dandruff?

Pretty much the same. Dandruff (seborrhea) is common. Shampoos with zinc, salicylic acid, selenium, or coal tar are sold in many stores. Nizoral shampoo (contains anti-fungal) is also available. Doctors may also recommend cortisone or kenalog (triamcinolone) sprays. Prevent dryness (don't wash hair too often). A primary doctor or dermatologist can look for psoriasis, eczema, or fungal infections if unusual or worrisome scalp symptoms.