What can I do to make my child more comfortable while teething?

Dr. Howard Schneider
Dentistry - Pediatric
In brief: Let them chew
Chewing on something cold and firm is helpful.
One idea is to give them a damp washcloth that as been frozen in the freezer to chew on. Commercial teeth rings that can be frozen are available as well. Teething is a normal process. I would avoid medication like painkillers unless absolutely necessary. Most babies really don't need them.

In brief: Let them chew
Dr. Howard Schneider
Dr. Howard Schneider
Dr. Michael Engel
A frozen bagel was always one of my favorites when I was a general pediatrician, and frankly, we used them for our kids when they were young. Worked great, but a little messy.
In brief: Chewing/gumming
Freeze a clean, rolled washcloth, or freeze a conventional teething ring and allow your baby to chew on it.
I generally don't recommend teething gels, they are quickly diluted by saliva and have side effects. If teething is very bothersome, a dose a acetominophen is sometimes helpful. Fyi-teething does not cause fevers.

In brief: Chewing/gumming
Dr. Ronda Dennis-Smithart
Dr. Ronda Dennis-Smithart
Dr. Swati Avashia
You can also massage your baby's gums with your finger.
Dr. Aaron Cregger
Dentistry
In brief: Patience!
As hard as it can be to be patient and understanding with all the other tasks of being a parent, teething can be a very trying time.
Give them frozen chew toys or other safe chew items and tylenol (acetaminophen) (check with your pediatrician for dosing) and good luck! going through this myself right now....

In brief: Patience!
Dr. Aaron Cregger
Dr. Aaron Cregger
In brief: Thanks for asking!
Topical anesthetic like baby oragel over the counter may give temporary relief.
Try cool pacifiers or pain meds like tylenol (acetaminophen) or advil.

In brief: Thanks for asking!
Dr. AtushaPatel Patel
Dr. AtushaPatel Patel
Dr. Alfredo Garcia
In brief: Teething pain
Whole rubber teething rings cooled in the fridge are soothing to chew on.
Pain relievers like Acetaminophen work as well. Local anesthetics should be avoided because of blood side effects.

In brief: Teething pain
Dr. Alfredo Garcia
Dr. Alfredo Garcia
Dr. Tarek Hamid
Dentistry
In brief: Soft food
Try to avoid rough foods as it cuts and irritates the gums which already irritated and pressured by the erupting teeth.
Applying topical anesthetic gel over the area helps reduce the pain. Teething is normally associated with some fever (elevated body temperature) you might need to give the child a fever reducer.

In brief: Soft food
Dr. Tarek Hamid
Dr. Tarek Hamid
Dr. David Kam
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Teething pain
Liquid Motrin can be given to young children for teething pain so they can sleep!

In brief: Teething pain
Dr. David Kam
Dr. David Kam
Dr. Robert Brodsky
Dentistry
In brief: Comfort
Hold and love him.

In brief: Comfort
Hold and love him.
Dr. Robert Brodsky
Dr. Robert Brodsky
Dr. Julia Sundel
In brief: Cool things
Give your baby a wet washcloth that has been in the freezer to chew on, cold teething rings also work.
Infant tylenol (acetaminophen) should help relieve the pain. Camilia is a safe and gentle homeopathic remedy that you can find in the health food store.

In brief: Cool things
Dr. Julia Sundel
Dr. Julia Sundel
Dr. Jonathan Jassey