I'm a vegetaian, about 8 years. I'm not over weight, I do eat microwavable foods and cheese. Am I at risk of getting diabetes? My grandmothers had it.

Dr. Quang Nguyen
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology
In brief: Probably not
It depends on your other risk factors but you are doing great with your lifestyle choices.
You can't avoid genetics but if you can keep your weight normal, you probably will not get diabetes. The main thing is to catch it early so make sure you see your pcp for regular check ups.

In brief: Probably not
Dr. Quang Nguyen
Dr. Quang Nguyen
Dr. Andrew Malinchak
In brief: Risk of diabetes
You're not at risk for diabetes solely based on what you've written here.
If diabetes runs in your family, especially a first degree relative (parents, siblings), then that would increase your risk.

In brief: Risk of diabetes
Dr. Andrew Malinchak
Dr. Andrew Malinchak
Dr. Adam Smith