How can I manage a runny nose?

In brief: "Manage" is a good..
"manage" is a good word for what you do with a runny nose.
"stop" would be a good word for what you do with a runny nose, if it were possible to stop it safely, but "manage" is what most people do -- with saline nose drops, more saline nose drops, and lots of tissue paper and patience. Antihistamines work if the runny nose is allergic; decongestants work poorly if at all.

In brief: "Manage" is a good..
Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky
Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky
6 comments
Dr. John McMahan
Don't give up... Depending pn the age and history solutions are possible. Sinus infections, GERD, irritants and chemicals in your home (fabric softeners, detergents, dust mites, animal sanders, kitty litter dust, non-HEPA vacuums, food sensitivities, sweeping, open windows, dirty HVAC systems, etc. see an ENT or allergy specialist to explore your options.
Dr. Brian Novick
I agree with Dr. McMahan....but the best thing to do is see an Allergist if it continues.
Dr. David Astrachan
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Depends
It depends on why your nose is running.
There is a condition called chronic rhinitis in which the nose just runs. It is common in older people and common after people eat. There is an excellent nose spray called atrovent (ipratropium) that can stop this running without other side effects. It works much better than saline sprays decongestants and antihistamines for this condition.

In brief: Depends
It depends on why your nose is running.
Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. Joel Selter
Pediatrics - Allergy & Asthma
In brief: Lots of choices
There are many decent choices that include antihistamines both oral and nasal, as well as intranasal steroids and anti-muscarinics.
Ideally find the trigger and avoiding is ideal but not always practical.

In brief: Lots of choices
Dr. Joel Selter
Dr. Joel Selter
In brief: Nasal saline drops
Babies ages 3-12 months can easily catch colds from other people.
If there is just a runny nose, without much fussiness, without any high fever, without other worrisome symptoms, then parents can leave the nose alone. The runny nose will get well on its own in most cases. If the mucous is blocking the nose somewhat, try a few drops of saline, followed by gentle suctioning with a suction bulb.

In brief: Nasal saline drops
Dr. Ruben Rucoba
In brief: Saline and suction
A runny nose makes it difficult for your baby to eat from bottle or breast, so you need to clear out your baby's nose.
I tell moms to put some saline up the baby's nose and use some suction device. The best device i've found is the nose frida: you provide the suction, but the mucus is trapped by a filter. Sounds gross, but the moms in my practice swear by it (check it out on youtube).

In brief: Saline and suction
Dr. Ruben Rucoba
Dr. Ruben Rucoba
Dr. John Chiu
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology
In brief: Depends on the cause
If it is from allergy, prescription nasal steroid or antihistamine spray works well.
If it is from a cold, there is a rx nasal spray for that too. For cold-induced runny nose, an anti-cholinergic spray works the best.

In brief: Depends on the cause
Dr. John Chiu
Dr. John Chiu
Dr. Nayla Mumneh
In brief: Runny nose
Management of a runny nose is best addressed by an allergist, seek the opinion of a local allergist.
Find one at acaai.Org or aaaai.Org.

In brief: Runny nose
Find one at acaai.Org or aaaai.Org.
Dr. Nayla Mumneh
Dr. Nayla Mumneh
Dr. Paul Trani
In brief: Nasal saline
I like advising the use of intranasal saline along with a bulb syringe to help to extract the mucus from your child's nose.
Your provider can often give you a bulb syringe to use. Over-the-counter Loratadine can also be used in older infants (no more than 2.5ml daily), but i would not recommend anything else until you see your provider.

In brief: Nasal saline
Dr. Paul Trani
Dr. Paul Trani
Dr. Mark Diamond
In brief: Support
Suction after application of saline ( salt water ) drops, and a vaporizer.
If your child is acting normally, sleeping well, etc. Nothing really needs done. Over the counter cold cures are not recommended due to safety risks.If your child is suffering, call you pediatrician.

In brief: Support
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Kevin Windisch
In brief: Nasal Saline
5-10 drops of nasal saline followed by suctioning can help to remove the secretions.

In brief: Nasal Saline
Dr. Kevin Windisch
Dr. Kevin Windisch