Hips hurt when I sit?

Not the hip joint. Usually it does not hurt to sit with hip arthritis. It may hurt to get up. Depending where it hurts it could be trochanteric bursitis if it hurts on the side of the pelvis; ischial bursitis or piriformis syndrome if it hurts on the bottom, coccyxgodynia if he pain is coming from the tailbone - called the coccyx. Sometimes for comfort you can cushion you gluteal region with a pillow.
Hip impingement. If you have pain in the hip and groin area while sitting, you may be suffering from femoroactabular impingement (fai). See a hip specialist.
Hips hurt. Hips hurting with sitting can occur with nonspecific swelling in the hip joint (synovitis) or with underlying osteoarthritis (oa).