How do I know if my son has thrush?

Dr. Linda Widmer

In brief: Try wiping it

In a baby, if you see a white coating or white dots on the tongue or inside of the mouth, try to wipe it away (may use a soft baby washcloth).
If the white coating gets better or goes away completely, it is likely not thrush and may be a coating of milk. If the white coating or dots stay despite scraping, it is likely thrush. Your son's doctor can prescribe an antifungal liquid to treat it.

In brief: Try wiping it

Dr. Linda Widmer
Dr. Linda Widmer
Dr. Holly Maes

In brief: White plaques

Thrush is a yeast infection of the mouth.
There would be white patches on the sides of the mouth on the mucous membranes, and the roof of the mouth and on the tongue. Many people confuse the whitish coating on the tongue for thrush - it's not. But if there are brighter white patches throughout the mouth and on top, then likely thrush.

In brief: White plaques

Dr. Holly Maes
Dr. Holly Maes
Dr. Adam Levy