What is enlarged tonsils?

Dr. Bernstein Joel
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Secretory IgA
Dr. Balagun is almost perfectly correct.
I know this is immunological trivia but nevertheless, let's be absolutely accurate. Secretory IgA is not synthesized by the palatine tonsils because the latter are covered with squamous epithelium (modified skin) and thus does not synthesize secretory component. However, the adenoid (tonsil in the back of the nose) does because the surface does produce sc.

In brief: Secretory IgA
Dr. Bernstein Joel
Dr. Bernstein Joel
Dr. Anifat Balogun
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Enlarged tonsils
Tonsils are collections of lymphoid tissue located on either side of the back of the throat.
Lingual tonsils in the middle of the back of the tongue. They trap bacteria and viruses that enter through the throat and produce antibodies, specifically secretory iga. Tonsils usually enlarge in the course of bacterial or viral infection. Think strep throat or mono. A benign tumor or cancer is possible.

In brief: Enlarged tonsils
Dr. Anifat Balogun
Dr. Anifat Balogun